Sunday 18 September 2011

Real Tauranga Festival

Wow, this really crept up on me! The Real Tauranga Festival kicked off last week while we were away. It has been timed to coincide with the rugby world cup (9 Sept - 23 Oct)- Good to have something going on in Tauranga seeing as we missed out on hosting any games.
Last night I pottered down to the Strand for Multi Culjah - mainly attracted by The Patea Maori Club, famous for 'Poi E'. A number of other mostly Reggae type bands also performed, including my favourite of the night, 1814. 


Sorry, not the best quality photo, taken with my cellphone!

Nice to see the organisers put some thought into the food stalls to choose from - including Big Smoke BBQ and Kiwi Spit Roast - both local, delicious and well recommended catering companies.

I did get the impression that they expected a much bigger crowd . . . and I can only guess that people may have been put off a little by the price. $40 a ticket isn't that big a price tag, especially when there were 5 groups over five and a half hours, but I expect they would have attracted more people by dropping the prices just a little.

Awesome location for a concert. Hopefully successful enough to encourage more gigs down at the Strand. 

This morning, just to get into the swing of things I thought I'd pop down to the Multi-Cultural Markets. Got up early and wandered down, but was disappointed to find that they have actually been pushed back to the 16th of October. I'm hoping they will be worth the wait!  x

No comments:

Post a Comment